U.S Visa for Entrepreneurs

Temporary Protected Status Announced for Citizens of Yemen

Beginning September 3, 2015 citizens of Yemen who are in the United States will be able to apply for Temporary Protected Status (TPS). TPS is available for citizens of countries where current conditions have rendered it dangerous for its citizens to return on a temporary basis. When these conditions arise, the Secretary of Homeland Security has the ability to designate TPS status for those countries’ citizens. After a year of extreme insecurity in Yemen, including the closing of the U.S. Embassy, DHS announced TPS for Yemen.

What is TPS?

TPS allows a citizen of a foreign country who is already residing in the U.S. to apply through USCIS to receive this official status. TPS, if granted, means that a person cannot be detained by DHS on the sole basis of his or her immigration status in the United States.

A major benefit of TPS is also that it permits the individual to apply for work authorization (EAD).

It is also important to note that TPS does not automatically lead to permanent residence (Green Card ) in the U.S. but does not prohibit an individual from perusing permanent residence or another immigrant visa by other means.

Who Qualifies for TPS?

Citizens of Yemen who have been residing continuously in the United States since September 3, 2015 may be eligible to file for TPS.

In order to receive TPS, an individual MUST file during the “registration period” between September 3, 2015 and March 1, 2106. Those who file after that date may be denied TPS so it is very important to file as soon as possible.

Additionally, persons with certain criminal records, inadmissibility issues, or “asylum bars” may be ineligible.

How can ilexlaw, PLLC help

The experienced immigration attorneys at ilexlaw, PLLC are available to assist clients with navigating the TPS process. We assist you with determining eligibility and then filing for TPS and work authorization. If you are a citizen of Yemen or of a different TPS designated country, please contact ilexlaw, PLLC today for your free consultation.

Leave a Reply